What I wish people would understand is that when you are in love, you are willing to let the other person be happy even if it means they aren't happy with you.
That's how I see it at least. I see it as being so totally invested in someone, that even if they are happy with another person it's ok because you really only wanted them happy to begin with.
There comes a point in every relationship where you have to let go. It's cliche, but if you let go and they really truly love you they will come back. You have to be ok without that person constantly in your life, because you have to be expecting them not to return. It's not that you weren't good enough, or that you weren't pretty enough or smart enough. It's simply the fact that you two didn't work together. It's like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich: it works, it's the perfect balance. But you'd never eat a peanut butter and anchovy sandwich, now would you? Not unless you were paid a million dollars, and even then it wouldn't last long or be half as enjoyable as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
It all comes down to loving yourself as much as you love the other person. There's a certain independence that comes with every relationship. You can't lose yourself and become the same person. You have to keep the friends you have loved for your entire life and you have to be able to detach yourself when things aren't going well so you don't hurt those around you. You can't get so caught up in a relationship that you become lost without your significant other. A strong sense of self is something I've always striven for, and I believe that it's something everyone should be aware of. You need to know and love yourself before you can give in completely to love.
That's how I see it, at least.

No comments:
Post a Comment